Tuesday, May 31, 2011

persevere in prayer

No doubt about it.....this week was a rough week for me.  My running week goes from Monday to Sunday.  This way I have two weekend days to ensure I get all my runs in.

Monday may 23rd.

Today was supposed to be one of my cross training days.  I was going to ride bike.  Well, I don't have a bike, and when I went to get on my husbands I noticed it had a flat tire.  It was also raining, and I just could not face going out in the rain.  My shin still hurts quite a bit, but I'm not limping....so that is good.  Needless to say I didn't make it out the door to ride bike, so I told myself I would do tae-bo later in the day for my cross training.....yeah that didn't happen either.  So I went to bed tonight feeling frustrated and discouraged.  Injuries are hard on me, they completely take the wind out of my sails.  I just know tomorrow will be a better day.

Tuesday May 24th

The alarm goes off at 5:50 am, and I shut it off.  I woke up an hour later and rushed to get the kids up/ready lunches made, breakfast fed, and out the door  to the bus.  I knew I had to run this evening.  With my last weekend off due to the shin injury and missing yesterday, I had three days in a row off.  NOT good.  So I prayed that I would find a way to get myself to go to the track.  I was emailing a friend back and forth, and asked her to meet me at the track.  She said she would.  That is so good for me.  I will go if someone is counting on me....but to just go by myself with the way I am feeling,  well it is hard.  So anyway,  I met my friend at the track at 515pm and did my run.  I felt pretty good as far as my breathing, but my shin was quite sore.  I did run through the pain, and got my full twenty minutes in.  I am always amazed at the people God puts in my life....just when I need them.   My friend Jill is the ultimate cheerleader.  She kept telling me how good I was doing and that I was making such great progress, and I really need to hear that, because I tend to beat myself up at times.  I think I should be doing more, or be faster than where I am.  I shouldn't be injured, I should have never let myself get this out of shape.  I should just suck it up and deal with it.  I don't usually give myself the credit for just being out there and running.  I am my worst critic,  I always have been. Jill was telling me, how I inspired her.  I still have a hard time wrapping my mind around that, because I feel that I should be so much further than I am.   God knows me well, and he seems to send the right friend or person that I need to put things back in perspective for me.   So today I thank God for all his love and mercy he shows me daily, and I thank Jill for being his arms and feet for me today.

Yes today was weigh in day, and I didn't lose any weight.  I will be honest,  I haven't been eating as healthy. I am also stressed, and when I am stressed my body holds onto weight for dear life.  Oh well, at least I'm still running!

Wednesday May 25th.

I actually got up out of bed today!!! YAY!  that is a huge victory for me after the last few days.  I went to the track and had an okay run .  Yes my shin is still giving me grief, but I was able to run with it.  I lifted up my prayers for my dad today.  He is facing some pretty scary health issues, and I have been talking with him daily.  It is hard to live hours away from your family sometimes.  I'm a doer.  I like to be there, go to appointments, talk with the doctors, and walk with my dad, but now that I live far away, I can't.  I talk to him on the phone, and talk with some of the doctors on the phone.  My sister and I talk a lot, because she is the one doing all the running with him,  but I still feel helpless.  When I've spent the majority of my life being a helper, and to know that there is nothing I can do is frustrating.  Then I realized I was doing something,  I was praying, and I was putting my father's health in my God's Hands.  That is more than I could do if I was there with him.  Whatever the outcome of my dad's physical health.  I can help his spiritual health, by praying for him and with him.  So  I keep pushing forward in my running and in my pain, and I lift it all up for a bigger purpose than myself.  It is in some ways like finding a freedom I've never known.  The pain (physical and emotional)  is still there, but when you lift it up in prayer for a greater cause, there is also peace.

Thursday May 26th

Today was supposed to be a cross training day, and it didn't happen.

Friday May 27th

I got up this morning, and made it to the track.  I was having a pretty good run.  Yes my shin still hurt, but not to the point of slowing my run.  As I was finishing my prayers towards the end of my run,  I see my hubby hooting and hollering at me as he came down to the track.  He joined me on my last lap.  He first tells me that I am looking a lot stronger from the last time we ran together which was about three weeks ago.  Then he kinda fell behind me, and promptly informed me that I have a "form" problem.   My running form is apparently not right.  He says I kick my right foot way out to the side.  I know this,  I have always ran like this.  I used to get teased about it in high school.  Of course in high school, I would just go out and beat the people teasing me, and then I would say  "I may run funny....but I can still beat you."  and then I would give them a playful smile.  Well needless to say, I can't beat anyone right now, and poor form could be contributing to my issues with my shin.   So I am going to try to not kick my leg out when I run.  How do you change something that you've done for 36 years?  (yes I've been running since I was 9 months old)
I finished my last lap, and told Steve I would see him later.  All the while trying to visualize how I was going to accomplish this great task of changing my form.  Lord help me!

Sat May 28th

I didn't get out today either.  Yes I am struggling this week.

Sunday May 29th

I did get out to the track this afternoon.  My legs felt like lead.  They were really heavy.  I was also concentrating really hard on not kicking my foot out to the side.  I did pretty good.  I have noticed when I am tired it is harder to control.  As I was running, about 15 minutes in my right hip just completely cramped up on me.  I think I was trying so hard to use proper form and somehow that affected my hip.  I had to stop running and walk for the last 5 minutes.  I was feeling disappointed in myself because I only got four days in this week.  However, I made myself take a step back and realize that I actually got out and ran 4 days this week.  That is a big accomplishment.  We have been really busy, and I have been under a great deal of stress.  I know even a few months ago, I wouldn't have got out at all.  So yes, it was not my best week, but in some ways it was a great victory for me, because despite everything going on,  I got four days in.  I'm not going to beat myself up on this one.  I just need to try harder next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment