Thursday, May 5, 2011

training to train day 4

Today was TERRIBLE.  One of the things that is the hardest for me when it comes to running, is forcing myself to carve out the time to run.  Raising four children, running my own business, starting/overseeing pro-life committees and book clubs, take up a lot of my time.  There are days, when I am reasonably able to get out for a run,  and other days I feel like I am digging out from under a million pounds of stuff, just to get my foot out the door!  Steve had to work late, the kids were fighting,  messing up the house,  after I just cleaned it.  This is a daily occurrence,  no matter how many times I pick something up,  it seems to get messy again.....aaaahhhhhh!  So anyway, as you can see just getting my run in today was a battle. 

I managed to slip away, and get to the track.  Running on the flat track the last couple days, seemed to help with my shin splints.  They haven't been hurting as bad the last two nights.  I start my warm-up lap with a sense of accomplishment, because I actually managed to get a run in,  it was gonna be a good run, or so I thought.  After my warm up, I ease in to my jog and start my prayers. Steve always shared with me that he prays when he runs.  At first I thought, that's a good idea, I'll try it.  I am beginning to realize now that I need it!  Praying is the ONLY thing that keeps me running at times. Not even five minutes in, not only did my shins hurt, but my heels, ankle, and knees were killing me.  I haven't had any trouble with my knees so that was a little worrisome.  You see, i am training to train right now.  I need to be able to run 3 miles a day to actually start my half marathon training.  I'm lucky to be at 1.5 to 2 miles, depending on how I am feeling. I have attempted to train many other times for a half marathon, and have always fallen short.  Usually because I injure myself.  I have a tendency to push too hard, and try to do more than my body is capable of.  The advice I have been given is to listen to my body.  I'll be honest, that is confusing to me, because my body says SIT DOWN!  I AM NOT DOING THIS!  I struggle with knowing what is "good pain" that I can push through, and get stronger, and what is a warning of an injury to come. 

I was only able to run 15 minutes today, and have decided to take tomorrow off. I hope a day of rest will help soothe my sore muscles.  If anyone out there has a way to differentiate between  the pains I am experiencing, please feel free to comment.  I could use the information.

Another day of putting one foot in front of the other!

No comments:

Post a Comment