Sunday, July 31, 2011

Seizure throws us for a loop

Sarah woke about 2am Saturday morning full of mucous.  She was coughing and puking.   I was pretty sure that she was having a reaction to the Septra.   When she was on it last week the same thing happened, but the on call DR thought that is was a virus going along with the MRSA.   I didn't think so, but hey I 'm not a Doc.  So anyway when she woke up with the same symptoms, I knew in my gut it was a reaction to the medicine.  I also noticed she had a temp.   I attempted to put her in a tepid bath to cool her down, and she wanted nothing to do with that.  I also attempted to give her Tylenol, and she just puked it up.  I was kicking myself for not getting the Tylenol suppositories  like I had intended to do when I went to the store.  So I stripped her down to her diaper, and did my best to bring her temp. down.   Her temp was not super high....101.  However the last two times she had seizures that is what her temp was.  She has had several fevers in between with no seizures.  We were told that by the age of two febrile seizures go way down, and they completely outgrow them at five.  Since she hadn't had any since November and was over two we were hoping she had outgrown them.  About 3 am  I contemplated taking her into the ER.  She was miserable.  I could hardly recognize her....her face was even more swollen from the bug bite, she had a low grade temp and was still all gunky and coughing.  Just when I was about to take her into the ER she went back to sleep.  If I tried to lay her down she would wake up crying,  so I just sat in the rocking chair and let her sleep in my arms.  At about 345  I noticed she was completely zonked so I laid her in her crib.  I laid down, and said a prayer.  About 30 seconds later, I hear this weird sound, and I knew immediately in my heart she was having a seizure.  I flew out of bed, screamed at Steve the baby is seizing,  turned on the light, and had her diastat in my hands in record time.  Diastat is the drug that they say finally brought her out of her first seizure....which was an hour and a half.  Steve was beside me in a second, and my hands were working frantically to try and give this med to her.   It is a suppository form, and I realized the first vial we had did not have a thing to push on to get the medicine out.  I fumbled with it,  my hands shaking incessantly.  Steve grabbed the other one, and luckily that one had the pusher thing on.....sorry can't think of the correct terminology right pusher thing will have to do.  It is HORRIFYING to watch your daughter convulse like that.   Her whole body was convulsing,  she was turning blue,  and had gunk coming out of her mouth and nose.   As horrible as that is to watch,  that is not even the worse part for me.   Her eyes are open,  but they are is a vacant stare,  and it chills me to the depths of my soul.  Luckily the Diastat worked quickly, and pulled her out of her seizure.  I was on the phone calling 911, and Steve stayed with Sarah.  I also ran about the house throwing her medicine, and the diastat syringe into the diaper bag so I had them for the Doctor.  We ended up staying at the hospital all day Saturday through Sunday morning.  Needless to say I didn't get any running in...

No comments:

Post a Comment