Friday, July 22, 2011

Heat, speed, illness, and Family.

Thursday July 14th

WOW is it hot.  Steve and I ran together this evening.  I have slowly been improving my time and distance. Now that I am running 35 minutes a day, I am running about 3.25 miles.  I usually seem to average about a 1030 mile pace  which is a great improvement over my 12 min mile pace I was running just a month ago.  Steve said he was going to push me, and like to see me at a 9:30 mile pace.  I scoffed at him, because my fastest time before that was like a 10:13 mile pace.  I told him there would be no way I could do that, especially in this heat.  So off we went.  Steve and I kept a pretty good pace, and I seemed to be really struggling.  I have a terrible cold, plus I have been up with Sarah quite a bit lately.  She has not been feeling well.   We took her into the Dr. on Monday, because she has been having terrible reactions to bug bites.  Her whole face will swell up!  Now all the bites are rather big sores, and look infected to me.   The Dr cultured and we got the results today that she has MRSA.   That is a antibiotic resistant staph type infection.   I freaked out, because when I worked in the hospital with it we gowned and gloved and it was a pretty big deal.   I checked with the state to see if this was something I would have to close the daycare for, and surprisingly I didn't.   I was informed that MRSA is actually everywhere, and more common than I thought.   So they grew out the cultures, tested the sensitivities, and found exactly what antibiotic will work for it, so  we started her on septra.  4 teaspoons a day.....that is a huge dose!  I called and told all the daycare parents and told them what was going on, and gave them the choice to  pick up kids if they wanted.   I already have 3 days off next week so they chose to pull them out till next week after Sarah had been on the antibiotic for a while.  I would have done the same thing as a parent.  Anyway,  as Steve and I were running,  I offered up all my prayers for a quick recovery for Sarah.  I have to admit, that her being sick in any fashion is quite nerve racking for me.  Since she had her seizure last fall, I am just much more sensitive to  what could happen with her.  The momma lion just comes out in me, and I feel so overly protective of her.  So I needed to refocus in prayer, and put her in God's hands.  The whole run, whenever I wanted to quit, because it was soooo hot, or my head was pounding,  I just thought of my sweet baby, and how tough she is, and I pushed forward.  We ended up running 3.5 miles in 34 minutes.   It worked out to be like a 9:54 mile pace.   So not quite the 9:30  Steve hoped for, but still a great accomplishment.

Friday July 15th

It is so hot and humid that when I step outside, it feels like I am being smothered by a wet cloth.  YUK! I decide to make today a cross training day.  I have plans to run my first longer run tomorrow.   I hope to do a 5 mile run.   So today will be a good day for cross training.   I do the 30 day shred and call it good.

Sat.  July 16th

I was supposed to meet a friend at 630 am today and go for my 5 mile run,  but I was up most of the night with Sarah.   She has developed a cold, and the mucous draining in her throat is causing her to cough until she vomits.   It was a very, very long night.  I called the on-call doctor, because I 'm worried that maybe this is the surface ( wound) infection becoming a more serious internal infection.   The Dr.  says he is sure that it is separate.  So I push on.   I was going to attempt to run in the evening, since I did not get up this morning, but it is so hot out, I think I would hurt myself if I ran in this heat.  So I missed today.

Sunday July 17th

I was up all night with Sarah again.   She is coughing so hard.   Finally at 5am I remembered I had some Neb's from the last time she was sick, and decided to give her a breathing treatment.  When my Son Sam was Sarah's age,  every time he got a cold, he ended up on Neb's.   They called in reactive airway disease.....The good news is he outgrew it at age 3.  Sarah seems to have the same thing.   I gave her a Neb, and she finally stopped coughing long enough to get some sleep.   She slept until 10am.  Me on the other hand I was up by seven.  I am just exhausted.  Needless to say I couldn't find it in me to run today.   I know that's not good,  but between the heat, and the exhaustion,  I can't find it in me.

Monday July 18th.

I did ge up for a run this morning.  I ran a pretty good pace.  I have tons to do today.  I have family coming into town, and since Sarah has been so sick,  I have not got as much done as I would like.  So I got up hit my run, and then started working at home.  Cleaning, disenfecting, washing bedding, and so on and so forth.  It was a busy, but good day.

Tuesday July 19th

I did not go for a run this  morning.  I think the breakneck pace of yesterday, the lack of sleep the last few days, and this blasted cold, has just warn me out.   I have company arriving later this morning, so I chose to get right to work and get the finishing touches done.   I still needed to make a dessert, and potato salad.  Plus I didn't get to the store yesterday,  so that is also on the agenda this am. I also hope to have lunch ready and waiting for them when they arrive.  Another busy morning.  I somehow manage to get it done, right as they pull in.  Let the fun begin!!!!

Wednesday July 20th.

Today I was fortunate enough to run with my sister-in-law  Angi.  Angi is Coach Pat's wife, and they are up for a visit.  Angi is in great shape and has run several marathons, and half-marathons, so I know she will be running a lot slower than normal to run with me, but she did it anyway.  We ran the 3.5 mile course I have mapped out. It is another cooker today...... it is soooo hot and humid!   I can tell as we are running, that it is a faster pace than normal, but I really don't pay it too much attention,  Angi and I have always gotten along really well, and I really enjoy my visits with her.  I felt good today,  my left shin is a little sore, but nothing unbearable.  As we are rounding the curve to my house, I tell Ang that I am going to kick it, and finish it hard......she says go for it.  I take off, and start striding it out.   I hear Angi kinda giggle, and notice she is behind me.  I yell....."Lets go Ang!"  She laughs again and says her legs are to short to keep up with my strides.   I still think she gave it to me, but she said she was impressed by the "Corbin kick".  I guess God gave me long legs for a reason :)  When I finished the run, I ask Angi what we finished it in.   She said 33min.  That is a whole minute faster than my last fastest time.    I was pumped!  I informed Angi, that her and Pat have no say in the matter, and have to move to Fergus Falls, just so I can have her as my running partner.  I am so thankful to have her push me!  Thanks Angi!

Thursday July 21st

Angi and I went for a run together again this morning.   When I stepped outside,  I was pleasantly surprised.....IT was a wonderful 59 degrees.   I LOVE to run in weather like this versus the blast furnace we have been running in the last week.  I had no great expectations that I could repeat my faster time that I did yesterday.  As we were running, I felt really winded, and felt it was going to be a really tough day.   Angi just kept talking to me and  I kept running.  I have a few good hills on this course, and wow do they kick my butt!   I did pretty good until the last hill.  My legs felt like I could barely move them.  They were so heavy.  I let out a deep breath and Angi says....."I'm gonna push you now"  My initial thought was  "I've already been pushing!"   I dug deep and pulled up beside her.  We get to my favorite part of the run.....the downhill part, which is also close to the finish.   Angi tells me I am on track to beat my time yesterday.  The competitor in me emerges.  I pick it up, and push as hard as I can.  I get to the last two hundred yards, and Angi tells me she is going to try and hang with the "Corbin kick" today.  We take off!  I push hard and reach my drive ( the finish line.)  The result:  I took another minute and 10 seconds off my time.  I averaged a 9:28 mile pace.  Just a week ago, I had scoffed at my husband, and told him there was no way I could run a n 930 mile pace.  WOW!  I am excited.  What a great victory!  I also have another victory when I go in and weigh myself.  I am down 9 lbs.   Finally I feel like I am getting somewhere!  My wonderful bro-in-law Coach Pat sees my over zealousness, and reminds me, that slow and steady will win this race.  This is how I hurt myself.  I push and push and push.  It was a much needed reminder, and I plan on taking the rest of the week slower, and longer.  I am so blessed to have a family, like Pat and Angi as part of our Lives.   Steve and his bro Pat are best friends, and Angi and I get along like sisters.  I am so thankful for our relationship!  It is good to have anchors in this crazy world, and Pat and Angi are ours.   Thanks Guys for a great visit, and we love and miss you!

Friday July 22nd

I got up this morning to go for my run.  I woke my oldest Brianna up, cause she wanted to run part of my run with me.   We start with our warm-up walk,  it was a beautiful morning, and Brianna and I were having such a nice conversation, that I decided to just walk today, and call it a cross-training day.  Brianna is 11 and 1/2.  She is a sweet loving responsible young lady, who is entering into the very challenging....preteen/teenager stage.  I am usually quite busy with the younger kids, and do not always get to spend the time with Brianna that I would like.  I so enjoyed our walk this morning.  We saw a hot air balloon, talked about her bike, the dog, her friends, and everything important in Brianna's world. Half way through our walk, she grabbed my hand, and we walked hand in hand the rest of the way.  I am so proud of her.  She is very excited about being a LIFE runner.  She has such a passion for the unborn.  For her age she really grasps the fear, lies, and sadness that surrounds abortion.  Steve and I of course have shared our passion for Pro-life with her, but she knows in the very depths of her heart that it is wrong.  I really think that is a conviction sent from above.  I love the days when I take the time to slow down, and really listen to my kids.  Brianna did most of the talking on our walk, and I loved listening to her.  I know my children so well,  I am with them 24/7 and can usually finish their thoughts/sentences before they do,  yet I feel like a learn a little more each day.  So today, I walked for 35 minutes, slowed down, and enjoyed my daughter.   It was a great way to start my day.  Tomorrow, I am meeting a friend, and will attempt my first 5 mile run.  I am excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment